Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Gardenia
A friend has a large Gardenia bush that was in full bloom last week.  Since the flowers do not last long she clipped a bunch of blooms to share with friends.  These blooms are not only beautiful, but the aroma is like no other.  We enjoyed their sweet and simple fragrance for about 36 hours.
Simply heavenly. 
I often wonder why God didn't create these flowers to last longer?  Why is it that some of the best smelling flowers have the shortest life? I am sure there is some scientific explanation for this. 
I like to think that the reason the beauty and the scent last for such a short time is because God wants us to stop and take a few moments to enjoy them.  We wouldn't be nearly as thankful for them if they were always there.  Just like each moment in our lives, they pass.. often all too quickly.  We need to pause, breath in the fragrance of the moment and be thankful for it.
#942 Gardenias in full bloom

No comments: