Monday, December 01, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

On Thanksgiving morning we woke up to the distinct sound of a gun shot. No, the Mountain Ranch natives near my parents house weren't rioting... It was my youngest brother, Adam, the passionate hunter. He had been out hunting the local Turkeys... and well, I don't need to say any more. We had very fresh Turkey for our Thanksgiving meal. We had two birds actually, one very fresh, and another more conventional turkey. The taste test proved that fresher is better. (Hopefully I haven't offended any of our readers too much)









It was so good he could't wait!












We've been talking about a mantle for our fireplace for two years now... We've had a variety of ideas, and nothing has ever been pursued. FINALLY I couldn't wait another Christmas season, I wanted a mantle to hang the stockings! So Scott got to work (more seriously anyway) and he and my dad came up with a fantastic idea. It was actually an idea that sort of evolved as they went along... It took a lot of thought and planning...



My Mom and I made an apple Pie... a little bit of her influence, a little bit of mine.... its the "dobersicke" pie... MMM it was SO good! And pretty too!



The guys enjoyed some poker after the big meal. No money was bet, but they all still enjoyed the poker tradition.











We deliberated a long time over the right stain to choose for the mantle. We finally settled on one. We'll take more pictures when the mantle is finally up. I can't wait to decorate it!



Despite the long awaited coolness in the air, it just doesn't feel like the Christmas season should be here already. We decided to put up our outside lights to try to get us in the Christmas mood.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The turkey...it's a beauty. I'll take your word for "fresh is best." Would like to compare someday. Your new mantle...that will be GREAT! I miss sewing with you. Maybe in January...

~ Jessie Girl ~ said...

I want to try fresh turkey! And the apple pie made my mouth water and I am SO excited about your mantle! Go you and Scotty!